Open auditions for boys ages 6-16 are typically held in the Fall (August) and Winter (December). An audition may be scheduled at any time (including the summer) by calling (505) 369-6006.
The audition is simply an informal screening process. Nothing needs to be prepared. We look for boys who are focused and love to sing. Usually boys are asked to:
- Match pitch by singing the notes the director plays on a piano.
- Sing a familiar song to see if they can carry a tune.
- Repeat intervals using numbers or solfege to check for tonal memory and vocal range.
- Demonstrate that they can recognize and sing a harmony by singing one of two notes the director is playing.
- Boys auditioning for Concert Choir may be asked to read music.
At the conclusion of the audition, the director will decide on admittance and make a recommendation for choir placement. The Director reserves the right to finalize placement for boys with exceptional talent who may be younger than the recommended entrance age to a specific choir.